According to Lopez, the President's recent statements regarding the need to strictly regulate mining and the ratification of the Agreement show the President "deeply cares for the country."
"This joint executive and legislative effort shows our unwavering commitment to protect the environment on a global scale,” said Lopez.
The Paris Agreement calls for the reduction of carbon emissions, which have been linked to the occurrence of natural disasters and extreme weather phenomena such as the supertyphoons that have struck the country in recent years.
Twenty-two senators unanimously approved Senate Resolution No. 320 on the climate pact. The President signed the Agreement last February 28.
The DENR chief also made special mention of Senate Environment Committee Chair Sen. Loren Legarda, who the Secretary characterized as a tireless advocate and champion of the environment.
“The nation is thankful to Senator Legarda for her decades-long crusade to popularize and elevate environmental issues," Lopez said. ###
DENR calls for proper management of wastewater, recognizes 14 'water champions'
To emphasize this year’s World Water Day theme, "Water and Wastewater," a top official of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) today underscored the need to focus on the so-called “double-sided effects” of wastewater during the culminating event of the celebration of Philippine Water Week and World Water Day at the Quezon City Sports Club.
This, even as DENR Undersecretary for Staff Bureaus Demetrio Ignacio, Jr. led the recognition of 14 “water champions” comprised of individuals, organizations, government agencies and local government units (LGUs). Read more...
- DENR calls for proper management of wastewater, recognizes 14 'water champions'
- DENR: Mining companies furnished with audit reports
- DENR chief lauds Duterte, Senate on Paris climate pact approval
- Lopez to CA: 'I'm not only about mining'
- Lopez faces CA anew, DENR official stresses vote for environment's future
- Multi-agency four billion-peso effort to produce green jobs in closed mines
- DENR, USAID unveil new biodiversity conservation project
- Statement of Secretary Gina Lopez on the President’s decision to sign the Paris Agreement on Climate Change