Lopez's confirmation has faced stiff opposition from mining operators who questioned the DENR's cancellation of 23 mining concessions due to violations of environmental laws.
Valdez emphasized that the matter of the environment crosses political lines, religious affiliations, age, gender, economic condition, and is an issue that affects every Filipino.
"We're not just talking about current individual issues on mines, watershed protection, illegal logging or the dismantling of illegal fishpens. The more crucial and overarching concern is protecting an environment that can sustain us at present, and which our children and generations of Filipinos yet unborn can still enjoy in the future."
Environment groups have expressed support for Lopez's appointment and have sided with the Secretary in her row with pro-mining interests.
These groups cite mining industry statistics showing that the gross value added in mining averaged about 0.65 percent of GDP for 2012-2016. Metallic and non-metallic exports, for instance, account for only 5% of total exports.
"The forests, mountains, rivers, flora and fauna that we lose now due to failure to enforce our environmental laws in exchange for short-term economic gains cannot be replaced anymore. They are lost forever. I'm sure our lawmakers don't want that. The CA vote is nothing less than a once in a lifetime opportunity for our Senators and Congressmen to affirm their stand on the environment." Valdez clarified. ###
DENR calls for proper management of wastewater, recognizes 14 'water champions'
To emphasize this year’s World Water Day theme, "Water and Wastewater," a top official of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) today underscored the need to focus on the so-called “double-sided effects” of wastewater during the culminating event of the celebration of Philippine Water Week and World Water Day at the Quezon City Sports Club.
This, even as DENR Undersecretary for Staff Bureaus Demetrio Ignacio, Jr. led the recognition of 14 “water champions” comprised of individuals, organizations, government agencies and local government units (LGUs). Read more...
- DENR calls for proper management of wastewater, recognizes 14 'water champions'
- DENR: Mining companies furnished with audit reports
- DENR chief lauds Duterte, Senate on Paris climate pact approval
- Lopez to CA: 'I'm not only about mining'
- Lopez faces CA anew, DENR official stresses vote for environment's future
- Multi-agency four billion-peso effort to produce green jobs in closed mines
- DENR, USAID unveil new biodiversity conservation project
- Statement of Secretary Gina Lopez on the President’s decision to sign the Paris Agreement on Climate Change