The LAWIN Protection System is a strategy that seeks to conserve the forest and biodiversity with the involvement of the community. Using a mobile application called cybertracker, users may report real-time environmental abuses from the site.
The system engages four users. The patrollers including the community, DENR forest rangers, and forest guards of the local government, the data managers including DENR forest technicians and geographic system (GIS) experts from the LGUs, the resource managers or members of the protected area management boards as well as environment and natural resources officers of the LGUs, and environmental law enforcers such as the PNP, DENR and deputized enforcers. The patrollers shall gather information on forest condition and threats to forest health, data managers shall convert forest data into reports, resource managers shall assess and adjust forest protection strategies for identified focus area, and the environmental law enforcers shall identify and implement forest management and enforcement strategies.
In Region 8, the DENR in coordination with USAID’s B+WISER has conducted a training for DENR forest rangers and other personnel responsible for forest protection on how to implement and operationalize the LAWIN system.
In a statement delivered by DENR Undersecretary for Field Operations Isabelo Montejo during the training, he urged all forest protection personnel to act immediately on issues involving risks to the environment, especially that the Department is implementing the LAWIN protection system.
The system has been pilot tested in seven sites in the Philippines since 2015, and was adopted by the DENR as a national strategy for forest and biodiversity protection in March 2016.
DENR Secretary Gina Lopez, Sinimulan ang pagtulong sa mga apektado ng operasyon ng minahan sa Zambales; Mga katutubong Aeta, makakatuwang.
Matapos na bisitahin ni DENR Secretary Gina Lopez ang Dizon Mines at mga apektadong barangay at mga katutubo sa Zambales ng operasyon ng minahan.
- DENR Secretary Gina Lopez, Sinimulan ang pagtulong sa mga apektado ng operasyon ng minahan sa Zambales; Mga katutubong Aeta, makakatuwang.
- Lopez: zero tolerance for corruption in DENR under my watch
- DENR to assess socio-economic impacts of protected areas
- DENR, other stakeholders develop Plan for Basey Watershed
- DENR backs accounting of PH's natural resources
- DENR pushes for nationwide forest conservation to reduce climate change impacts
- DENR taps POs to reforest 500 hectares in Tapaz, Capiz
- DENR all set for green economy shift