UPDATES ONPRIORITY PROGRAMS AND PROJECTS
DENR Celebrates Ocean Month in May
The Department of Environment and Natural Resources in Region 8 joins in the country’s annual celebration of May as Ocean Month. This annual celebration is by virtue of Presidential Proclamation No. 57 signed in 1999 to highlight the conservation, protection and sustainable management of the country’s coastal resources.
On its 15th year, the annual celebration focuses on the mangrove ecosystem, anchored on the theme “Mangroves Protect. Protect Mangroves.” (Bakawan ay Sanggalan, Sanggalan ang Bakawan). DENR Secretary Ramon J.P. Paje said this year’s theme is extremely timely and significant in light of the magnitude of the destruction wrought by Yolanda, which is said to be the strongest tropical typhoon ever recorded.
“Unfortunate the disaster may have been, Yolanda undoubtedly was an instant education for Filipino people on what storm surges are, and was a rude awakening of sort on the state of our coastal communities and their lack of protection from these natural events,” Paje pointed out.Read more...
- DENR Celebrates Ocean Month in May
- DENR – LGU Paranas inks pact for the management of Ulot Watershed Model Forest
- DENR inks MOPA with two Southern Leyte towns for land titling partnership
- DENR Regulate Chainsaws
- March 22, 2014 is World Water Day
- Green Sea Turtles Released Back to Sea
- EV to Benefit from the 1 Billion Peso Mangrove Rehab Project
- DENR-LGU Tacloban Launches Leyte Gulf Rehabilitation Project